How to Prep Skin for Your Wedding Day
By: Mandy Davis, Nashville Makeup Artist
It never ceases to excite me when my brides show up for their preview appointment and say they just want to look glowy and natural. It is the epitome of the perfect bridal look in my opinion and one of my favorite to create for my clients. I wanted to showcase one of my very favorite glowy natural looks from my beautiful bride Kelly. I love everything about this look and will be more than happy to share the products I used to create it.
I can’t stress enough the most important aspect of this look and that is HYDRATED, healthy skin. As a Nashville Makeup Artist, I meet a TON of girls who sit in my chair and want nothing more than to shine on their wedding day. However, so many of them are dehydrated, don’t wash their makeup off before going to bed, don’t eat healthy and have no skincare routine to speak of. That is completely up to them but it will be very hard to achieve this look and so often the look they aspire to have when you don’t take care of your skin first. The first thing my bride, Kelly, said when she sat in my chair was “I have really been taking care of my skin and I can tell a difference!” And man….so could I! Her skin looked amazing and made my job so much easier to give her this lit from within look for her big day!
So…how can you make your skin healthy for the biggest day of your life!? Easy…you can:
- Drink lots of water! And I don’t mean a few bottles a day. I mean at least EIGHT bottles a day, or the equivalent to a gallon of water a day. You will be amazed at how it helps to plump any fine lines your skin has and give you a natural glow.
- Establish a skincare routine. It doesn’t have to be an elaborate 21 step routine, but I would suggest finding a good aesthetician (If you are in the Nashville area, I can’t recommend Amber Meier enough! She is located at Dr. Lois Wagstrom’s office off West End) and have them do a consultation with you, letting you know the exact products that will garner the best results for you and your skin.
- WEAR SPF! I can’t stress this enough. The sun is our enemy when it comes to maintaining healthy skin. And I don’t mean just wear it on sunny days in the summer and only during the hottest hours of the day. No, I mean wear it all day long, 365 days a year. You will thank me later.
- Please, please, please wash your face every night before you go to bed. I understand we all have long days and are so tired at the end of them, but leaving your makeup on overnight will only lead to clogged pores, breakouts, and overall very unhealthy skin.
- Try and eat as healthy as you can. Sugar isn’t really a friend to us in any capacity (other than it tasting SO good!), and can really take a toll on your skin. Stick to good proteins and vegetables and fruits with lots of healthy skin loving nutrients.
These are just a few ways to prep your skin for your big day! I am so happy you are eager to get your skin looking the best it can be, and I know you will find it was so worth it when you see yourself in your gown, with that natural, glowing, gorgeous face to go with it!
KELLY’S BRIDAL LOOK BREAKDOWN
Hyaluronic Acid Serum
Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Lotion
Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer mixed with Liquid Highlight
Hourglass Illusion Skin Tint mixed with Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation
Senna Cream Blush
Chanel Cream Bronzer
Hourglass Luminous Light Ambient Lighting Powder
Charlotte Tilbury Cream Shadow “Marie Antoinette”
Charlotte Tilbury Glow Palette
MAC Lipstick “Faux”
Sincerely, Mandy Davis: Nashville Makeup Artist